Thursday, June 25, 2009

Tragedy in the Heartland

Yesterday morning my heart broke for the community of Parkersburg. How much tragedy can this little town bare? I was sitting at my desk when I heard the news--a prominent leader in Parkersburg, Ed Thomas, was shot and killed.
I did not know Ed personally but I met many people that did. I heard incredible stories how this man had impacted those around him. After the tornado hit Parkersburg, Ed was on the forefront helping this town pick itself back up again. He was the one saying "this tornado is an opportunity from God for us to help one another." He was a talented football coach who valued family and teamwork over wins and loses. (Four men under his leadership play for the NFL now.) Ed was undoubtedly a man of character striving to teach people what it mean to be a part of the body of Christ.
I know if Ed had been in town when our youth were volunteering he would have been motivating, encouraging and thanking them for what was being done.
Ed, Thank you for being the person this community needed you to be!

No comments: