Thursday, February 11, 2016

Collecting Memories

I recently saw a saying on my intern's desk that made me smile.  As I reflected on the simple words, it struck a chord in my heart. I think this is something I've been striving for - I just hadn't formulated the complete thought in my head.  

The phrase went like this: COLLECT MEMORIES NOT THINGS

Over Christmas this past year, Brian and I flew out to Vancouver, BC and were able to see my entire immediate family.  For some families this is normal.  For my family, it is not. The last time we all saw each other was at Brian and I's wedding. Before that it would've been my sister's wedding, and one more step back, would've been my graduation from high school. It's an unfortunate challenge we encounter.  Sooooo, let's get back to this past Christmas ...

For Christmas presents, my family decided not to buy "typical presents" for each person like we normally do.  We decided to invest our money into memories!  Each family picked an activity - then we all spent time together doing exactly that.  Making memories.  We went ice skating, had hot chocolate on the beach, saw a park in downtown Vancouver decked out in Christmas lights, and more.  We had a blast.  I'd vouch to say it was a memorable and special week for each person in my family.  

A month later, Brian and I got back on a plane - heading south this time.  Waaaaay south.  We flew to Costa Rica for my cousin Hannah's wedding.  Brian and I didn't have a lot planned for the trip.  We truly wanted to spend time with my extended family and make some new memories. We had an absolute blast.  

I got to spend precious time with Hannah.  Got to hang with other family - cousins, siblings, aunts, uncles, and meet one cousin's children for the first time. We invested our time and money into showing up.  Being there for the wedding. Spending time talking, eating, swimming, and hanging out on the beach with these people - I hold our time in Costa Rica close to my heart.  It was SO worth it.  Brian and I collected memories I hope we never forget.  







Sometimes you will never know the value of 
a moment until it becomes a memory.
- Dr. Seuss -

No comments: