Friday, November 21, 2008

Dream Big


I recently read this book. It scared me, challenged me,and inspired me. Three common questions are brought forth by the author 1)Where am I going? 2) What should I be doing? 3) Who am I becoming? The heart of these questions ultimately lead to these questions: Who has God created me to be? And what had God created me to do?
When I started reading Wide Awake I wanted to put it down and never open it again. After the first chapter I realized if I kept reading, life as I currently knew it would have to change. Deep in my spirit I sensed I was meant for something great. I don't know what great looks like but I do know that great freaks me out a little. On the other hand, great keep me striving for more. Great tells me not to settle for the safe and comfortable. Great is a God sized dream being shaped and molded within me. I know what God has in store for me is beyond what I am capable of imagining myself.
McManus uses Adam as a great example. Here's a small excerpt from the book:
"Remember Adam? He didn't say to God, 'God, thanks for the elephants. They're really fun to ride. I'm not so sure about the rhinos; don't ever mount them from the front. God thanks for everything, but I've got an idea. I need a woman! Koalas are cute, but they're a terrible date." Adam didn't have a clue. He couldn't even conceptualize a woman ... God knew something Adam needed. Something Adam didn't even know he needed. God knew what Adam would want, what Adam would need, something Adam couldn't even imagine.
While Adam was in a deep sleep, God took a rib out of his body and created woman. Then he woke Adam up. When Adam was awakened, he saw Eve and he came alive. He must have given God a standing ovation. God was not only the Creator but creative. He must have thanked God for not limiting himself to Adam's ability to imagine: 'Woman was a great idea! Thanks God. It never even occurred to me. I didn't know we could be a complimentary set. I'll give up a a rib for another Eve anytime. Thank you, God."

I am learning to become more self-aware. The more self-aware I can become the more effective I can become. I think this is part of the reason community is vital. Sometimes we can be completely blind to ourselves. We can't see who God has made us to become. Deep down we're afraid people might see us for who we really are and conclude we have no value at all. McManus writes, "You were created in the image of and likeness of God. As broken, damaged, and messed up as you may be, God sees extraordinary capacity in you." Make the effort to encourage and be encouraged by those around you. You'll be amazed what you see in them that they don't see in themselves. Be a part of making their dreams come alive.

No comments: