Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Jellyfish

I have this connection with Bridget Jones. For those of you who have never met Bridget, she is a thirty something single woman in London trying to make sense of her life.  She's plagued with awkwardness, struggles with her weight, her job and her many imperfections.
 
There's this one movie scene where Bridget is hanging out at a bar with some friends.  A lady she knows walks over and proceeds to have a "jellyfish" conversations with her. A "jellyfish" is a person who stings you repeatedly, all in the name of "just talking", "friendly concern" or even "non-actions". We've all had them – the person who wants to hurt you, but manages to wrap that giant "up yours" with a shiny bow and disguise it as meaning well.

I have one particular jellyfish in my life.  This morning proved to start out stinging.  Sometimes I think I'm just being over sensitive... and I know that's the case sometimes.  I also know it's not all the time.  Today, I wanted to crawl back in bed Jones style. Wallow in my wounds, bust open some ice cream and give up on every healthy eating habit I've tried to do this year. 

As much as I want to do that, I know I won't.  I know I will continue to press on.  To push past the stings and put my hope in something greater.  

Why am I discouraged? Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again—my Savior and my God! (Psalm 43:5)

No comments: